Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Wiki Prayer

Please grant me the serenity to accept the pages I cannot edit,
The courage to edit the pages I can, 
And the wisdom to know the difference
— The Wiki Prayer

I saw this in "Blogs, Wikis, Podcasts, and Other Powerful Web Tools for Classrooms" by Will Richardson (3rd Edition, 2010) and chuckled. 


As we start our class wiki, I think many of us, myself included, are a little apprehensive on where to start. I think that we don't want to be stepping on anyone's toes. But at the same time we have to start somewhere. I have a feeling that this is going to be a little like a snowball. It's going to start off small, but after a little we'll get the ball rolling and it will turn into something substantial (my hope at least).


I think wikis are a little bit scattered and messy by their nature, so there's no way we can effectively organize and assign the collaboration of 20 people. So I think we need to just jump in head first and get started, which may be the most difficult step.


The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
-Lao-tzu

...And the creation of our class wiki begins with a single entry. Here goes nothing.

2 comments:

  1. Yep, learning to step on some toes (and to not mind it when others step on yours) is a big part of wiki-ing. I like your next-to-last sentence as much as I liked the prayer.

    Chip

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! You are so right that the first step is the hardest. I'm finding that's the case with my class assignments as well. I procrastinate but then once I get rolling things are just fine. :)

    ReplyDelete