Tuesday, January 11, 2011

My New Kindle

I received an Amazon Kindle from my wonderful wife for my birthday this past weekend. I received the 6" Wi-Fi Kindle.
So far, it is great! I was able to download the textbook for my Instructional Applications of the Internet course and start reading within minutes.

I been pleasantly surprised with the quality and contrast of the e-ink, the battery life, and just how small and light the device is. Unlike the Apple iPad, I could read the Kindle for hours without it getting to heavy or getting eye strain.

Using the Kindle store was a breeze also. While many of Kindle books are less-expensive than buying hard copies, I am a bit concerned that Amazon's DRM is not conducive to public libraries and that I may be buying more digital books instead of checking them out from my local library.

After a few months of use, I'll post a comprehensive review of all of the pros and cons of the Kindle.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Matt,

    I want one of those so bad. One day, when they are less expensive perhaps, I'm extremely poor. Ha!

    Can you send email on a Kindle?

    What is "DRM"?

    Yvette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yvette,

    So far, the Kindle has been great.

    It does have a web browser that you can use when connected to Wi-Fi—so you can check your email using that browser.

    You can also send email to your Kindle. Amazon gives an email address, which is username@kindle.com. So you can email PDF files and other documents that you want to read on your Kindle. Once you email a file, it just appears on the Kindle. This is really cool feature!

    DRM stands for Digital Rights Management, which is how copyright holders can limit the use of their digital files and devices. You can read more about it here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had a Kindle for about two-and-a-half years now. I got my second one early last fall. The new version is better, except that it seems to freeze fairly frequently for me. Anyone else have that problem? I prefer to read on it than to read paper books. I am also reading on the iPad, but usually in different situations.

    Chip

    ReplyDelete
  4. After about a week or so, I've come to enjoy reading it better than reading paper books, also. I've yet to have it freeze on me (fingers crossed). The Whispersync technology that Amazon uses is great because it syncs my reading progress no matter if I am reading on Kindle, iPad, or laptop. But reading on the Kindle device is definitely easiest on my eyes.

    ReplyDelete